Process Piece

Process Piece—Gilka Machado Stop-Motion

Revised: Volúpia do Vento Stop Motion 

Original: Poema de Amor Stop Motion

First and foremost, it was necessary to change the title of my piece from “Poema de Amor” to its actual name “Volúpia do Vento.” The original, incorrect title was an error on my part caused by reading the background information on a website too quickly. Although I featured the original title in the film (I wrote “Poema de Amor” into the background), I feel as though the text proves more powerful since it is not the title of the poem. The writing in the background now merely designates this poem into one of love, as opposed to calling out its name.

The above paragraph, however, explains my reaction to a change I did not actively make. The following ones speak of the changes I did make and why I made them.
During the editing process, my primary focus was to make the film more “surreal.” The film’s in-class workshop had labeled it as a “trip” and I wanted to explore this characteristic and make the form more “trippy.” I first attempted to achieve this by trying out a technique that Danny had posted on the blog in one of his videos on data-moshing. Whereas the data-moshing technique applied to videos, one of the techniques explained by the videos was to create “glitch art” using jpegs. Following the technique, which is to open an image in TextEdit and manipulate the data in a completely arbitrary way, I created “glitched” representations of about 75 of my original images.

My original plan was to incorporate these images into the work alongside their “unglitched” originals, to create an even faster stop-motion (more images per second). This plan, however, failed as FinalCutPro accepted only about ten of my “glitched” images. The remaining 65 had been too corrupted by my data manipulations. As such, I ended up incorporating the “glitched” images throughout the piece, as well as creating other visual discrepancies through my heavy use of the video filters provided by final cut pro.

In the end I wanted a piece that came across as “trippy.” I aimed for quick transitions, intense colors, and occasional “glitched images” that interrupted the flow of the movie to produce this effect.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s